The Boys....

Saturday, November 6, 2010

I'm a statistic

Did you know that between 1997 and 2007, the rate of infants born preterm in Michigan increased nearly 11%. Two thoughts, wow, that is scary and oh boy, I am a statistic!  That is 1 in 8 babies or over 12% of all of the live births in Michigan.  As a state, we get a D in the status of premature birth.  Of course that resonates with me, because I am an educator.  I wouldn't want a nurse who got a D in a class or a teacher who got a D in class teaching my children.  But that is where we, as a state, fall.




In An Average Week in Michigan


  • 301 babies are born preterm  (this would be Gunner)
  • 52 babies are born very preterm
  • 202 babies are born low birthweight (this would be Gunner and borderline Greyson)
  • 40 babies are born very low birthweight
Despite the fact that the March of Dimes is doing research, moms are seeking prenatal care (most of them) and following the advice of their OB's (again most of them) prematurity is still effecting our state and possibly babies you know and love.  It is way to scary to be a preemie parent and though I wouldn't change it for the world, I also wouldn't wish the experience on my worst enemy.

I am a perfect example of doing everything right and still having a preemie.  I teach human development; I know what you are supposed to do, I did what you are supposed to do.   (No smoking, drinking, take vita mins, get good prenatal care) I still had a full term baby who was lower birthweigth (5lbs 12 oz, down to 5lbs 4oz before leaving hospital) and a preterm baby.  I am one of the types of statistics the March of Dimes funds research for.

All stats are from the MOD website

No comments:

Post a Comment